FROM THE KITCHEN OF: Isabel Canfield
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
MAKES: about 2 cups
One of my favorite things to make is guacamole. Why? Because it’s the easiest thing to whip up for a crowd. You don’t even have to “cook” or “bake” anything. It’s just prepping a few fresh ingredients and ultimately combining everything into a bowl. And there you go, guacamole ready in just a few minutes!
My version is fairly simple and mild. You can certainly add different seasonings if you like a little kick such as chili or cayenne. You can even add garlic or dice up a few tomatoes, if you’d like. However, my recipe is straight forward, yet still very tasty. The ingredients provide some texture against such a delicate and creamy fruit. I promise you, this will be your go-to recipe for guacamole. So enjoy!
3 hass avocados
1/2 cup diced red onions (about 1/2 a red onion)
1/2 cup diced cilantro
1/3 cup jalapenos (about 2 jalapenos)
1/8 cup lime/lemon juice (about 1/2 a lime & 1/2 a lemon)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Dice the ingredients. Slice in half a red onion and remove the outer layer. Dice into little cubes. Rinse and pat dry the cilantro and jalapenos. Dice them as well. Be sure when dicing the jalapenos to not touch your eyes. It’ll sting! Set these ingredients aside in a small bowl.
2. Squeeze the lemon/lime. I like the combo of both lime and lemon in my guacamole. I do use a little more lime though. Taking 1/2 a lime and 1/2 a lemon, squeeze into a measuring cup. It’s roughly an 1/8 of a cup.
3. Scoop the avocado into a bowl. To remove the avocado from the skin, take a paring knife and slice the avocado in half. Gently stab the large seed with the paring knife and gently twist outward to remove the seed. Then take a spoon to scoop the avocado from the skin. Repeat this step for all three avocados.
4. Add lime/lemon juice immediately and mash together with a fork. As soon as you have the avocados in the mixing bowl, pour the lemon/lime juice over the avocados to help prevent the them from turning brown. The acid helps keep the avocado bright green.
5. Add the diced veggies and mix together. Once the avocado is mashed to your liking, add the diced onions, jalapenos and cilantro. Mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this post, please don’t forget to leave some love below or subscribe to the feed to get future articles delivered to your feed reader.